POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Camera confusion : Camera confusion Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Camera confusion
From: ShiJie
Date: 25 Oct 2004 03:55:00
Message: <web.417cb11d952bf6174727610@news.povray.org>
Dear NG,

I am a bit confuse about using the camera I would appreciate it if someone
would guide me. I have an object which is I think place on coordinates
<0,0,0>. Now this object is a bit complicated and I would like to view it
on its back,front and each of its side view, one way is of course to rotate
the object and view it (but I think this will take more rendering time and
besides its a bit more complicated) and the easier way is just to place the
a camera on the right position to view the objects front, back, left and
right side views (ie. If I understood the purpose of the "camera" in PovRay
correctly). I chose the latter option. I have the following camera code in
the beginning of my Pov file:

 camera {
  location <0, .1, -25>
  //location <-25, .1, 0>
  look_at 0
  //look_at <25,.1,0>
  angle 30
  //direction <5,1,1>
  // rotate y*70
  }

As you can see from the commented codes, I tried to experiment a lot to see
if I can do this. But I am really not able to do it! I thought that if I
reversed the z and the x coordinates in the location then I can get the
left-view of the object. This is not happening! I just get a blank space
and the camera doesn't even seem to have "faced right" to view the leftside
of the object. I tried doing other experiments with direction and look_at,
but I am really confused. I either misunderstand camera or I am doing this
wrongly.

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

PS

I have
           Backside

Leftside |   OBJECT    | Rightside

           Frontside=where camera is now placed (I think!)

and I want to see Leftside, Backside.. etc.